[Sticky] Start Here!

4 Posts
2 Users
5 Likes
Carl Thomas
Admin
Topic starter
(@admin)

Welcome to our 40 day devotion for Lent where we will read  A Way Other Than Our Own: Devotions For Lent by Walter Brueggemann. You can purchase the book in paperback or Kindle here. This forum will be where we interact with each other as we meditate on the daily devotion so take a second and register here. You may comment each day or as often as you want. If you miss a day's reading, do not catch up before reading the current day's reading. Read the devotion for the day you are in and go back later if you have time.

I was first introduced to the writing of Walter Brueggemann in Seminary when studying Jeremiah. I later went on to read several of his books including Theology of the Old Testament. I don't agree with everything he writes but I don't agree with everything I write. 

Part of the reason I love his work is because of the emphasis of God's desire for justice. This devotional will force us to see God's desire for justice and hopefully make our hearts more malleable to that cause. 

I am believing that in this journey we are going to be drawn closer to God and more open to his leading. 

You will get out of this what you put into it so here are some best practices:

• Set a time each day that you will do your devotions and stick to it. Whether it is first thing in the morning, at lunch or your afternoon break, sanctify that time to be with God.
  • Sanctify that time. Do not read while doing something else. Many like to read while exercising or doing other tasks. One of the goals of Lent is to carve time out of your life for God. Don't split your time.
  • Journal what God is telling you. You may use this forum for that purpose. We want to know what others are experiencing. 
  • Make an effort to incorporate your revelation into that day's activities. Apply what you are learning right away.
3 Replies
(@2beautifulminds)

Tuesday, On Terms other than Our Own

“Irascible God, you offer us a future full of grace and mercy, but on your terms, not ours. Knowing that you go with us into this future, may we respond with thanks and praise.”

Irascible, not a word I liked reading about my God. Having or showing a tendency of being easily angered. So grateful to be walking in the new covenant as well as having Jesus interceding at Gods right hand. Thank You Lord.

This is where strong faith comes in, knowing God is working ALL things for our good. His ways are not ours, like a good Father I am trusting His way is the better way - the blessing.

In the death of my Father, I would never think nor could I see how any blessing would come of this horrible loss.

I can tell you my mom would not be the woman she is today if my Dad were still here. There was a forced growth that happened at the hand of God. She had to make a choice to change and grow.

God in no way needed this to happen to heal or grow my mom, this is just the way it all unfolded. Humans often get themselves into tangles and snares not connected to Gods will. I am grateful God in His awesome power, mercy, and grace has remained by our side guiding us as we walked through this time. God has worked every aspect out for our good.

In faith, we must choose to walk forward not on our terms but on Gods terms, not always knowing or understanding His ways.

No matter the circumstance, I choose to count it all joy!!!

2 Replies
Carl Thomas
Admin
(@admin)

@2beautifulminds I thin you need to move this to the Tuesday thread

(@2beautifulminds)

@admin I still don’t know how to post, I’ve just been lucky…

Thanks for the head up.

Share:
%d bloggers like this: